Mediation Skills & Techniques, 3rd edition
Mediation Skills and Techniques, 3rd edition, provides essential guidance for all dispute resolution practitioners
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Mediation Skills and Techniques provides expert guidance on the practical operation of the mediation process, with particular reference to the skills and techniques that can be used by mediators to assist parties in their decision-making. It deals systematically with all aspects of mediation procedure, covering a wide range of planning, precautionary and trouble-shooting methods relevant for practice. Skills and techniques are correlated with the National Mediator Accreditation Standards. The book explains key features of the mediator’s role: understanding, diagnosing and defining the conflict; the importance of creating the best possible climate for parties to resolve disputes; facilitation of the parties’ communications and negotiations; and dealing with the unexpected. Practical examples and case studies are provided to illustrate important points and a range of documents and precedents are provided in the appendices.
The third edition has been fully revised and includes, for the first time, references to mediator standards in Hong Kong and Singapore; revised mediation models, insights from cognate disciplines; management of mediation disruptions; visions of future mediator practice; and additional examples and case studies.
- Provides key information to develop and support mediation practice
- Authoritative authors
- Includes supplementary source documents in useful appendices
- Aligns with mediation standards
- Supports accreditation process
- Practical and complete resource
• Alexander, Howieson and Fox, Negotiation: Strategy, Style, Skills, 3rd ed, 2015
• Boulle and Field, Australian Dispute Resolution: Law and Practice, 2017
• Boulle and Field, Mediation in Australia, 2018
Table of contents
- Mediation and Mediators
- Engaging in the Mediation System
- Establishing and Maintaining a Favourable Climate
- Diagnosing, Designing, Defining
- Managing the Mediation Procedure
- Assisting Communication and Cultural Dynamics
- Facilitating the Negotiations
- Mediators Encouraging Settlement
- Variations in Mediation Procedures
- Disruptive Issues in Mediation
- Avoiding Mediator Traps
- Towards Compleate and Wyse Mediators