LexisNexis Guide: Legislation and Statutory Interpretation, 5th edition
A clear and accessible guide on legislation and statutory interpretation
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
This book is an invaluable resource for anyone studying legislation and statutory interpretation in Australia. It provides clear and informative discussion on:
• the importance of legislation and statutory interpretation
• the relationship between legislation and case law
• the format of statutes and delegated legislation
• the legislative process
• the modern approach to statutory interpretation (including interpretation in context, the purposive approach, extrinsic evidence, common law presumptions and the effect of interpretation)
• answering problem questions
• how to research legislation
The fifth edition of this popular guide has been updated to include:
• expanded analysis of the modern approach to statutory interpretation
• recent case law (including key High Court decisions)
• updated examples of legislation
• revised problem questions and answers
• updated discussion on researching legislation
• Clear accessible explanations ensure concepts are clearly understood
• Includes examples, questions and excerpts from relevant legislation to consolidate learning
• Supported by large range of online lecturer materials
• Hall & Macken, Statutory Interpretation: Principles and Context, 2021
• Pearce, Statutory Interpretation in Australia, 9th ed, 2019
• Pearce, Interpretation Acts in Australia, 2018
Table of contents
- Introduction to this Guide, Legislation and Statutory Interpretation
- Legislation as a Source of Law
- Legislative Process
- Statutory Interpretation
- Answering Problem Questions on Statutory Interpretation
- Researching Legislation