LexisNexis Guide: Legal Referencing, 5th edition
LexisNexis Guide: Legal Referencing, 5th Edition is A comprehensive and accessible guide to legal referencing and writing
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Correct legal referencing is an essential skill for students, academics and other legal writers. In this indispensable guide, the author explains the ‘hows and whys’ of good legal referencing and writing.
In this fifth edition, the author discusses how to cite legal and non-legal sources. The citation requirements of the fourth edition of the Australian Guide to Legal Citation are clearly explained. Additionally, ‘how to’ examples are provided together with a discussion of citation management systems.
Written to engage students as well as practitioners and other legal writers, this book supports early and ongoing learning on the importance of accurate legal referencing. The author discusses techniques to improve legal writing and referencing, providing many clear examples and exercises, with answers, to assist writers to identify and avoid plagiarism in legal or other writing.
Legal Referencing is an excellent ongoing resource for use throughout law studies and beyond.
- Supports understanding of referencing style
- Extensive coverage of plagiarism – how to identify it, and how to avoid it
- User-friendly, practical and accurate style
- Provides clarity for students new to legal writing
- Facilitates compliance with scholastic requirements
- An invaluable guide for students of law and other disciplines required to engage with the legal writing
Bott & Talbot-Stokes, Nemes and Coss’ Effective Legal Research, 7th ed, 2018
Butt, Legal Usage: A Modern Style Guide, 2018
Corbett-Jarvis & Grigg, Effective Legal Writing: A Practical Guide, 2nd ed, 2017
Creyke et al, Laying Down the Law, 10th ed, 2018
Meehan & Tulloch, Grammar for Lawyers, 3rd ed, 2013
Table of contents
- Introduction to Legal Referencing and this Guide
- Non-Legal Styles of Referencing
- Legal Referencing
- The Fundamentals of Legal Referencing and Writing
- Improving your Legal Writing and Referencing
- Case Law
- Statutes and Other Kinds of Legislation
- Textbooks, Looseleaf Services, Legal Encyclopaedias, Legal Dictionaries
- Journals or Periodicals
- Newspapers, Magazines, Conference Papers, Unpublished Material, Bible, Lectures
- Parliamentary Debates, Reports and Bills
- How to Cite Legal Materials Located Electronically
- United Kingdom, Canada and United States
- Referencing in Exams
- Where to Find Help
- Automated Referencing Systems
Appendix 1 Recommended abbreviations for use in citation
Appendix 2 Citation of law reports
Appendix 3 Designators for courts and tribunals
Appendix 4 Quick reference guide
Appendix 5 Australian Guide to Legal Citation (4th edition)
Appendix 6 Differences between the 3rd and 4th editions of the Australian Guide to Legal Citation
Appendix 7 Designators for journals and other resources
New!PreorderQuick Reference Card: Torts, 4th editionNew!Release Date: May 25, 2021AUD$ 18.90
New!PreorderQuick Reference Card: Constitutional Law, 3rd editionNew!Release Date: April 27, 2021AUD$ 21.00
LexisNexis Guide: Legal Referencing, 5th editionRelease Date: September 05, 2019AUD$ 54.00