Foundations of Law: A Customised Publication for Monash University, 3rd edition
A customised introduction to law for students at Monash University
Edited by Ross Hyams
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
This publication was produced by LexisNexis for the unit Foundations of Law offered by the Faculty of Law at Monash University.
Reproduced in this text are readings comprising chapters and extracts from the following LexisNexis publications:
• Bruce Bott and Ruth Talbot Stokes, Nemes and Coss’ Effective Legal Research (LexisNexis, 8th ed, 2021)
• Robin Creyke et al, Laying Down the Law (LexisNexis, 11th ed, 2021)
• Nichola Corbett-Jarvis and Brendan Grigg, Effective Legal Writing: A Practical Guide (LexisNexis, 3rd ed, 2021)
• Rachael Field, James Duffy and Anna Huggins, Lawyering and Positive Professional Identities (LexisNexis, 2nd ed, 2019)
• Kath Hall and Claire Macken, LexisNexis Guides: Legislation and Statutory Interpretation (LexisNexis, 5th ed, 2021)
• Jones, Chisholm and Nettheim’s Understanding Law: An Introduction to the Australian Legal System (LexisNexis, 9th ed, 2021)
Edited by Ross Hyams
• Bott & Talbot Stokes, Effective Legal Research, 8th ed, 2021
• Jones, Chisholm & Nettheim’s Understanding Law: An Introduction to the Australian Legal Systems, 9th ed, 2021
• Corbett-Jarvis & Grigg, Effective Legal Writing: A Practical Guide, 3rd ed, 2021
• Finkelstein & Hamer, LexisNexis Concise Australian Legal Dictionary, 6th ed, 2021
• Hall & Macken, LexisNexis Guides: Legislation and Statutory Interpretation, 5th ed, 2021
• Hall and Macken, Statutory interpretation: Principles and Context, 2021
• Krever, Mastering Law Studies and Law Exam Techniques, 11th ed, 2022
• Stuhmcke, LexisNexis Guide: Legal Referencing, 5th ed, 2019
Table of contents
- Ch 1. Lawyers as Life-Long and Independent Learners
- Ch 2. Introduction to the Australian Legal System
- Ch 3. Indigenous Australians and the System of Law and Justice
- Ch 4. Introduction to Legal Research
- Ch 5. Research Strategy and Technique
- Ch 6. Legal Writing Conventions
- Ch 7. Introduction to Legal Reasoning
- Ch 8. Working with Case Law and Precedent
- Ch 9. Working with Statutes
- Ch 10. Interpreting Statutes — the Importance of Purpose
- Ch 11. Working with Statutes — The Various Tools of Statutory Interpretation
- Appendix - Court Hierarchies
LexisNexis Guide: Legal Referencing, 5th editionAUD$ 63.00
Effective Legal Writing: A Practical Guide, 3rd editionAUD$ 72.00
Chisholm & Nettheim’s Understanding Law: An Introduction To Australia’s Legal System, 9th editionAUD$ 77.00
LexisNexis Concise Australian Legal Dictionary, 6th editionAUD$ 99.00
Statutory Interpretation: Principles and ContextAUD$ 91.00
Nemes & Coss’ Effective Legal Research, 8th editionAUD$ 110.00
LexisNexis Guide: Legislation and Statutory Interpretation, 5th editionAUD$ 63.00
Mastering Law Studies and Law Exam Techniques, 11th editionAUD$ 72.00