Foundations of Law: A Custom Publication for Monash University, 2nd edition
A customised introduction to law for students at Monash University
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
This publication was produced by LexisNexis Butterworths for the unit Foundations of Law offered by the Faculty of Law at Monash University.
Reproduced in this text are readings comprising chapters and extracts from the following LexisNexis Butterworths publications:
- Bruce Bott & Ruth Talbot Stokes, Nemes & Coss’ Effective Legal Research (LexisNexis Butterworths, 6th ed, 2015)
- Richard Chisholm & Garth Netheim, Understanding Law: An Introduction to the Australian Legal System (LexisNexis Butterworths, 8th ed, 2012)
- Catriona Cook, Robin Creyke, Robert Geddes, David Hamer & Tristan Taylor, Laying Down the Law (LexisNexis Butterworths, 9th ed, 2015)
- Nichola Corbett-Jarvis & Brendan Grigg, Effective Legal Writing: A Practical Guide (LexisNexis Butterworths, 2nd ed, 2017)
- Rachael Field, James Duffy & Anna Huggins, Lawyering and Positive Professional Identities (LexisNexis Butterworths, 2014)
- Kath Hall & Claire Macken, LexisNexis Guides: Legislation and Statutory Interpretation (LexisNexis Butterworths, 4th ed, 2015)
Finkelstein & Hamer, LexisNexis Concise Australian Legal Dictionary, 5th ed, 2014
Table of contents
Chapter 1: Lawyers as Life-Long and Independent Learners
Chapter 2: Introduction to the Australian Legal System
Chapter 3: Indigenous Australians and the System of Law and Justice
Chapter 4: Introduction to Legal Research
Chapter 5: Research Strategy and Technique
Chapter 6: Legal Writing Conventions
Chapter 7: Introduction to Legal Reasoning
Chapter 8: Working with Case Law and Precedent
Chapter 9: Working with Statutes
Chapter 10: Interpreting Statutes — the Importance of Purpose
Chapter 11: Working with Statutes — The Various Tools of Statutory Interpretation