Consumer Protection Law in Australia, 3rd edition
An accessible guide to the Australian consumer law regime
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Consumer Protection Law in Australia provides a clear and detailed explanation of the application and effect of consumer protection and product liability law in Australia, fostering a sound understanding of the legislative landscape in force since the introduction of the single regulatory scheme. The author explains the mechanism under which the federal and state and territory laws operate and provides a ’road map’ to all aspects of the consumer regime, including regulation and public and private enforcement. Key areas such as consumer guarantees, unfair contract provisions and product liability are comprehensively discussed. The book is an invaluable guide for legal practitioners, academics and students.
The third edition is fully revised to include many recent developments, including:
- Significant amendments following the 2015 Review of the Australian Consumer Law introduced by the Treasury Laws Amendment (Australian Consumer Law Review) Act 2018 (Cth) and the Treasury Laws Amendment (2018 No 3) Act 2018 (Cth);
- Amendments to the Industry Codes of Conduct provisions introduced by the Competition and Consumer (Industry Code Penalties) Act 2014 (Cth);
- Decisions of the High Court in Thorne v Kennedy (2017) 350 ALR 1 concerning unconscionable conduct in equity and of the Full Federal Court in Paciocco v Australian & New Zealand Banking Group Ltd (2015) 236 FCR 199 and Commonwealth Bank of Australia v Kojic (2016) 341 ALR 572 on the methodology for evaluating unconscionable conduct under ACL s 21;
- Amendments to the Unfair Contract Terms Regime introduced by the Treasury Legislation Amendment (Small Business and Unfair Contract Terms) Act 2015 (Cth) and important decisions in ACCC v JJ Richards & Sons Pty Ltd  FCA 1224 and ACCC v Servcorp Ltd  FCA 1044
- The significant increase in penalties for contraventions of the ACL introduced by the Treasury Laws Amendment (2018 No 3) Act 2018 (Cth)
- Comprehensive discussion of fundamental principles of consumer law
- Authoritative, experienced author
- Fully revised and updated
Bruce, Australian Competition Law, 3rd ed, 2018
Coorey, Australian Consumer Law, 2015
Lockhart, The Law of Misleading or Deceptive Conduct, 5th ed, 2019
Steinwall, LexisNexis Annotated Acts: Annotated Competition and Consumer Legislation, 2019
Table of contents
Ch 1 Australia’s National Consumer Protection Regime
Ch 2 Application of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth) and Australian Consumer Law
Ch 3 Introduction to Misleading and Deceptive Conduct
Ch 4 Factual Categories of Misleading or Deceptive Conduct
Ch 5 Unconscionable Conduct — Unwritten Law
Ch 6 Statutory Unconscionable Conduct
Ch 7 Unfair Contract Terms Regime
Ch 8 False or Misleading Representations
Ch 9 Particular Forms of Unfair Practices
Ch 10 Consumer Guarantees Regime
Ch 11 Unsolicited Consumer Agreements
Ch 12 Liability of Manufacturers of Goods with Safety Defects
Ch 13 Product Safety and Information Standards
Ch 14 Industry Codes of Conduct
Ch 15 Public Enforcement — ACCC Investigation Powersv
Ch 16 Public Enforcement — ACCC Criminal Proceedings
Ch 17 Public Enforcement — ACCC Civil Orders and Remedies
Ch 18 Private Enforcement — Orders and Remedies
Consumer Protection Law in Australia, 3rd editionRelease Date: July 01, 2019AUD$ 138.00
New!Australian Competition Law, 4th editionNew!Release Date: July 02, 2021AUD$ 125.00
Contemporary Issues in Corporate and Competition Law Essays in Honour of Professor Robert Baxt AORelease Date: December 01, 2018AUD$ 193.00