The law affects every Australian in all sorts of ways. The complexity of the law and its legal traditions can, however, make it difficult for people to manage legal problems when they arise and discourage participation in community decision-making.
Designed as an accessible introduction to Australia’s legal system, this popular book demystifies the law and shows its importance to our society. The direct, clear and often humorous style of the book will help readers understand how the law relates to real issues and controversies. The institutions and sources of law in our legal system are clearly explained, including the roles of lawyers, the courts and the legislature. Illustrative examples and a discussion of actual cases enable students and other citizens to engage with topics such as the historical basis of Australian law, Australian and international law, human rights, procedural fairness and the notions of law and morality. Stimulus questions and activities invite readers to consider the interrelationship of law, tradition and social values. The ninth edition has been fully updated to include current legal issues and the section on the interpretation of legislation has been substantially revised.
Chisholm & Nettheim’s Understanding Law is a perfect introduction to the law for students commencing their legal studies or engaging with legal concepts in other academic disciplines. It is an ideal starting point for any Australian interested in learning more about their legal system.
• Lively and engaging approach to explaining the legal system
• Discussion of current issues illustrating the legal system in practice
• Accessible explanations avoid using legal jargon
• Creyke, Hamer, O’Mara, Smith & Taylor, Laying Down the Law, 11th ed
• Krever, Mastering Law Studies and Law Exam Techniques, 10th ed, 2019
• Butt & Hamer, LexisNexis Concise Australian Legal Dictionary, 5th ed, 2015
Table of contents
- Legal Systems — Indigenous, English, Australian and International
- Main Branches of Law
- Where Law Comes from: Case Law
- Where Law Comes from: Legislation
- Limits on Legislative Power
- Courts and the Interpretation of Legislation
- Courts of Law
- Due Process of Law
- Legal Aid and Access to Justice
- Individual Liberty and Public Power
- Law and Morality