Australian Medical Liability, 3rd edition
A comprehensive handbook focusing on medical liability in the context of the civil liability legislation across Australia.
The Paperback version of this book is available as Print-On-Demand. Please contact our customer support on 1800 772 772 or email email@example.com, if you wish to order.
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
This thoroughly revised third edition provides a detailed and in depth commentary on the elements of medical liability legislation. Australian Medical Liability follows the structure of a medical negligence claim through duty, breach and causation, ensuring its practicality as a resource for the busy practitioner and the interested student. In addition to the key case decisions from the second edition, this third edition of Australian Medical Liability includes new chapters on consent, expert evidence and a commentary on claims under consumer laws.
- Specialist text specifically dealing with medical liability law
- Written by highly respected medical liability lawyers
Richards & Louise, Medical Law and Ethics: A Problem-Based Approach, 2013
Table of contents
Part A – Introduction
- Framework of Australian Medical Liability
- Consent to Medical Treatment and Trespass to the Person
Part B – Duty
- Duties regarding Informed Consent
- Duties to Patients regarding Treatment
- Duties to Non-Patients and Third Parties
- Duties to Disclose Error
- Vicarious Liability and Non-Delegable Duties
Part C – Breach and Defences
- Breach of Duty in Informed Consent Cases
- Breach of Duty in Treatment Cases
- Breach of Duty in Treatment Cases - Case Examples
- Public Authorities
- Good Samaritans
- Contributory Negligence
Part D – Causation
- Causation in Informed Consent Cases
- Causation in Treatment Cases
- Loss of Chance
Part E – Special Categories
- Wrongful Birth Claims
- Intentional Acts with Intent to Cause Harm, Sexual Assault and Sexual Misconduct
Part F – Related Issues
- Confidentiality and Litigation
- Expert Evidence
- Medical Treatment and the Coroner
- Medical Treatment and Professional Conduct