Australian Insurance Law: A First Reference, 4th edition
A valuable resource for law and business students, insurance lawyers and those in the insurance industry
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
Now in its fourth edition, Australian Insurance Law: A First Reference is a clear and concise treatment of general insurance law in Australia. It covers all the key concepts associated with general insurance law, including the unique insurance perspective on the duty of utmost good faith, conditions and warranties, causation, mitigation, subrogation and double insurance, and contribution. This text is a valuable resource for law and business students, as well as insurance lawyers and those in the wider insurance industry.
• A concise discussion of the principles of general Australian insurance law
• Insightful commentary explaining the fundamentals with references to relevant statute and case law
• Includes digital learning materials
Derrington & Ashton, The Law of Liability Insurance, 3rd edition, 2013
Traves, Commercial Law, 4th ed, 2016
Table of contents
Part 1: Background
1. Insurance: A Risk Transfer, Loss-Spreading Arrangement
2. Dividing Insurance into Categories
3. A Short History of Insurance
4. Regulation of General Insurers
5. Insurance Intermediaries
6. Introduction to the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth)
Part 2: Period Leading up to and Including the Formation of an Insurance Contract
7. Utmost Good Faith
8. Pre-contractual Disclosure
9. Formation of an Insurance Contract
10. Insurable Interest
11. Duration of an Insurance Contract
12. The Layout of an Insurance Policy: Recitals, Insuring Clause, Exclusions, Policy Terms and Definitions<
13. Construing an Insurance Contract
14. The Nature of an Insurer’s Promise to Indemnify<
17. First Party Insurance
18. Liability (Third Party) Insurance
19. Some Common Policy Terms
Part 3: The Claim
20. Broken Promises
21. Election, Estoppel and Abuse of Process
22. Section 54
23. Fraudulent Claims
24. How Many Claims (Aggregation Clauses)?
25. Claiming the Benefit of Another Person’s Insurance Contract
26. Some Insurance-Related Civil Litigation Procedures
Part 4: Recovery of an Insurer’s Loss from Third Parties and Other Insurers
28. The Duties Owed by a Lawyer when Retained by an Insurer
29. Double Insurance and Contribution
New!PreorderAustralian Corporate Law, 8th edition and Australian Corporations Legislation 2024 (2 Volume Set) (Bundle)New!Release Date: December 06, 2023AUD$ 271.15
New!PreorderBusiness and Corporations Law, 5th edition and Australian Corporations Legislation 2024 (2 Volume Set) (Bundle)New!Release Date: December 06, 2023AUD$ 270.30
New!Laying Down the Law, 12th edition and LexisNexis Guide: Legislation and Statutory Interpretation, 5th edition (Bundle)New!Release Date: November 30, 2023AUD$ 163.80