This comprehensive new book contains clear and engaging coverage of all key areas of the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), including misleading or deceptive conduct, unconscionable conduct, unfair contract terms, consumer guarantees, manufacturers' liability and specific unfair practices.
Australian Consumer Law includes four chapters offering detailed analysis of misleading or deceptive conduct and specific false or misleading representations, covering the general principles and misleading conduct both in advertising and other areas of law. It examines and compares the advantages and disadvantages of actions brought under s 18 of the ACL with other options for redress. It contains an in-depth examination of the ACL remedies and enforcement powers of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) including damages, pecuniary penalties, injunctions, declarations and disqualification orders.
The author provides practical and theoretical analysis of important recent decisions on Australian consumer law, as well as summaries of and short extracts from relevant primary and secondary sources such as legislation, ACCC guidelines, Explanatory Memoranda and Second Reading Speeches. Each chapter includes case summaries, theory and problem questions and and further reading. The writing style is clear and succinct and the discussion includes a wide range of examples and analogies to explain complex areas of law.
The depth and practical application of the text makes it ideal for undergraduate and postgraduate students of Australian consumer law or the more specific subject of misleading or deceptive conduct. It is also a valuable resource for researchers and lawyers practising in this area.
- Covers all key topics, including misleading conduct and passing off, public enforcement and private remedies
- Clear, accessible and easy to navigate design makes complex concepts easier to understand
- Includes revision and problem questions to consolidate learning
Table of contents
- Definitions and Key Concepts
- Misleading or Deceptive Conduct I - General Principles
- Misleading or Deceptive Conduct II - Advertising
- Misleading or Deceptive Conduct III - Other Areas of Law
- Unconscionable Conduct
- Unfair Contract Terms
- Specific False or Misleading Representations
- Specific Unfair Practices
- Consumer Guarantees
- Manufacturers' Liability
- Enforcement Powers
- Remedies I - Private
- Remedies II - Public
- Remedies III - Consumer Guarantees