Administrative Appeals Tribunal, 5th edition
An authoritative guide to practice and procedure in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal
The Paperback version of this book is available as Print-On-Demand. Please contact our customer support on 1800 772 772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, if you wish to order.
Administrative Appeals Tribunal is for practitioners, migration agents, tribunal members, government decision-makers and others requiring a detailed yet accessible, treatment of the practice and procedure of the AAT. It is also a valuable resource for government departments and associated bodies and welfare organisations. Since an understanding of the AAT and similar tribunals is a significant aspect of the study of administrative law and government decision-making, Administrative Appeals Tribunal likewise provides a vital research tool for students of those areas.
Written by Australia’s leading authority on the work of the AAT, this book provides a detailed exposition of the jurisprudence of the AAT. It constitutes a clear, comprehensive treatment of the organisation, its jurisdiction and its procedures and provides essential guidance to anyone who is applying to, or appearing before, the Tribunal.
• Includes commentary on the changes made to the AAT’s procedures as a result of the amalgamation of the Migration Review Tribunal, the Refugee Review Tribunal and the Social Security Appeals Tribunal with the AAT
• Notes and comments on the numerous decisions of the AAT, the Federal Circuit Court and the Federal Court relating to the practice and procedure of the AAT and the amalgamated tribunals
• Australian Administrative Law, looseleaf and online
• Pearce, Statutory Interpretation in Australia, 9th ed, 2019
• Pearce & Argument, Delegated Legislation in Australia, 5th ed, 2017
• Pearce, Interpretation Acts in Australia, 1st ed, 2018.
Table of contents
- Ch 1 Establishment and Objective of Tribunal
- Ch 2 Membership and Organisation
- Ch 3 Jurisdiction of Administrative Appeals Tribunal
- Ch 4 Notification of Review Rights and Reasons for Decision
- Ch 5 Applicants for Review
- Ch 6 Initiation of Review
- Ch 7 Parties to Review Applications
- Ch 8 Procedure at Hearing: General Procedural Issues
- Ch 9 Procedure at Hearing: Evidentiary Matters
- Ch 10 Procedure at Hearing: Pre-Hearing and Special Procedures
- Ch 11 Procedure at Hearing: Form of Hearings
- Ch 12 Procedure at Hearing: Information before AAT
- Ch 13 Procedure at Hearing: Hearing Before Tribunal
- Ch 14 Stay of Decision
- Ch 15 Powers of AAT on Review: Actions Prior to Hearing
- Ch 16 Powers After Hearing
- Ch 17 Decisions of Administrative Appeals Tribunal
- Ch 18 Costs
- Ch 19 Appeals from AAT Decisions
- Ch 20 Miscellaneous Matters