Step-by-step guide to best practice investigative interviewing of victims, witnesses and suspects.
The importance of investigative interviewing has been increasingly recognised in recent years as vital to effective investigation. Investigative Interviewing Explained by Brian Ord, Gary Shaw and Tracey Green provides the reader with an easy-to-read guide to investigative interviewing. It is a practical and comprehensive text with helpful examples to assist investigators to develop and hone their skills.
The authors share a wealth of practical experience, and have written an indispensable text based on sound practice and sensible advice.
This text deals with a range of essential interviewing skills and issues relating to:
- preparation and planning
- establishing rapport
- interviewing witnesses
- interviewing suspects
- legal aspects of interviewing
- continual improvement through evaluation
There is little doubt that in the current legal environment, evidence elicited in an interview, whether from a witness or suspect, will become a focus for the defence. This book assists investigators to gather evidence in a manner that will withstand such scrutiny and protect the integrity of the witness.
With the ever-increasing demands for high levels of professionalism among investigators, this book explains the skills required to conduct a range of interviews in a practical and professional manner.
- Assists inexperienced and experienced investigators to develop and hone their skills
- Explains the skills required to conduct a range of interviews in a practical and professional manner
- Assists investigators to gather evidence in a manner that will withstand scrutiny and protect the integrity of the witness
Table of contents
Part I - Core Skills
1. Preparation and Planning
2. Establishing Rapport
Part II - Structuring Interviews
5. Interviewing witnesses
6. Interviewing suspects
Part III - Legal Considerations
7. Legal aspects of interviewing
Part IV - Continual Improvement
Appendix 1: Witness Interviews
Appendix 2: Suspect Interviews