Nemes & Coss’ Effective Legal Research, 8th edition
A current, comprehensive and informative approach to legal research
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
This practical book is an indispensable guide to mastering the techniques and strategies that are vital for successful legal research and writing. The authors canvass a wide variety of electronic and print based resources relevant to Australian law and provide worked examples based on contextual problems and pointers to potential dangers. Helpful illustrations, flowcharts and diagrams familiarise readers with the environment in which they will be undertaking research.
The eighth edition has been comprehensively updated to reflect current research methods and platforms, with a focus on electronic sources of legal information. It showcases many new enhancements and developments to legal research platforms, including Lexis Advance, New Westlaw and CCH Pinpoint databases.
Citation information assists researchers to produce clear, well-referenced writing conforming to the latest edition of the widely adopted Australian Guide to Legal Citation.
• Ensures concepts are approachable, relevant and intelligible for first year law students
• Ensures solid understanding of the referencing system students will use throughout their law studies and legal practice
• Students encouraged to develop skills in addition to understanding theory
• Written in conformity with the Australian Guide to Legal Citation
• Aligns with TLO research outcomes
• Creyke, Hamer, O’Mara, Smith & Taylor, Laying Down the Law, 11th ed, 2021
• Corbett Jarvis & Grigg, Effective Legal Writing: A Practical Guide, 3rd ed, 2021
• Krever, Mastering Law Studies and Law Exam Techniques, 10th ed, 2019
Table of contents
- Introduction: The Essentials
- Citation and Effective Legal Writing
- Strategy and Technique
- Electronic Research
- Secondary Sources
- Case Law
- An International Perspective
- Appendix – Legal Citation Quick Guide