eLearn: Statutory Interpretation – An Introduction
An interactive digital learning resource for foundation law students
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing firstname.lastname@example.org; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
eLearn: Statutory Interpretation – an Introduction is an online resource that provides students of law and related disciplines with an interactive way to know, understand and practise the fundamentals of interpretation.
This digital resource provides activities that create an engaging way to improve the skills and knowledge that students acquire in their seminars and tutorials. It is designed to align with a semester course where statutory interpretation may be either a unit of study or embedded in another legal subject. It highlights the modern approach to statutory interpretation.
The resource serves as a revision and support tool. Students can stop an activity, logoff and resume at the point they last reached. Completing the reading and activities will take students 5–7 hours, depending on their level of interest and interaction with extra content such as flowcharts; how-to videos and glossaries. It is a companion resource for all foundations of law textbooks and units in which statutory interpretation is taught.
• Interactive timeline to understand England’s role in the development of Australia’s parliament
• Videos to support the practice of research skills
• Search activities that link to Federal Register of Legislation (also NSW and Victoria)
• A “hinty-bot” to provide tips on the learning journey
• Resource tab that includes useful links; downloadable documents; and a glossary of legal terms
• End of module quizzes
• Laying Down the Law, 10th Edition
• Quick Reference Card: Statutory Interpretation, 2nd edition
• LexisNexis Guide Series: Legislation and Statutory Interpretation, 4th edition
• Interpretation Acts in Australia - A practical guide for all legal practitioners dealing with legislation
Table of contents
1. The History of the Law in Australia and the Role of Statutory Interpretation
2. Understand Legislation
a. 2.1 The Legislative Process
b. 2.2 Life Cycle of Acts and Subordinate Legislation
c. 2.3 Finding Legislation
3. Interpret Legislation
4. Use Statutory Interpretation to Solve Legal Problems