Animal Law in Australia: An Integrated Approach, 2nd edition
A comprehensive introduction to animal law and philosophy in Australia
Select a format
One Year Subscription Only Terms
Subscribers receive the product(s) listed on the Order Form and any Updates made available during the annual subscription period. Shipping and handling fees are not included in the annual price.
Subscribers are advised of the number of Updates that were made to the particular publication the prior year. The number of Updates may vary due to developments in the law and other publishing issues, but subscribers may use this as a rough estimate of future shipments. Subscribers may call Customer Support at 800-833-9844 for additional information.
Subscribers may cancel this subscription by: calling Customer Support at 800-833-9844; emailing email@example.com; or returning the invoice marked 'CANCEL'.
If subscribers cancel within 30 days after the product is ordered or received and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a full credit of the price for the annual subscription.
If subscribers cancel between 31 and 60 days after the invoice date and return the product at their expense, then they will receive a 5/6th credit of the price for the annual subscription. No credit will be given for cancellations more than 60 days after the invoice date. To receive any credit, subscriber must return all product(s) shipped during the year at their expense within the applicable cancellation period listed above.
The second edition of this highly regarded work combines the philosophical and ethical dimensions of animal law with the practical, legal and regulatory frameworks governing animals in Australia. Written in a clear, engaging and accessible style, it is suitable as a teaching text for Animal Law courses, and for the wider legal community and general reader interested in animal welfare.
The new edition has been fully revised and updated to cover recent developments in both case law and legislation across many topics including:
- dismantling of the Australian Animal Welfare Strategy, the regulatory oversight of animal welfare by the new Commonwealth Department of Agriculture and Water Resources and the continuing novation of Model Codes of Practice into Australian Animal Welfare Standards and Guidelines
- key legal and administrative decisions on the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth) and the role of assistance animals
- liability of local councils in relation to Dangerous Dogs Policies
- liability of owners of companion animals who cause loss or damage
- calculation of damages for loss of a companion animal
- State legislative initiatives in preventing ‘puppy farms’ and ‘pet sweat shops’
- international family law developments on ‘custody’ of companion animals following divorce
- international case law concerning bestiality
- legislative intervention and litigation concerning the Greyhound Racing Industry
- legislative changes to the use of animals for entertainment including the Exhibited Animals Act 2015 (Qld)
- amendments to Commonwealth, State and Territory legislation with respect to the production of animal-based food products and protection of agri-businesses, including ‘ag-gag’ laws
- ACCC interventions for misleading or deceptive statements by egg, chicken and duck farmers
- action in the International Court of Justice by Australian against Japan in respect of Japan’s ‘scientific’ whaling program
- regulation of the live export trade
- Comprehensive, balanced coverage of animal law issues in Australia ensures readers will gain a solid understanding of the wider regulatory regime.
- Each chapter integrates the philosophical/ethical discussion with practical issues and the legal context allowing readers to gain an understanding of the background driving current regulatory regimes.
- Written by an internationally recongnised expert in animal law
- Chapters include clear learning objectives, and further reading to facilitate depth and breadth of learning for both students and the general reader.
Table of contents
Ch 1 Animal Law in History
Ch 2 Development of Contemporary Animal Law
Ch 3 Australian Legal and Regulatory Framework
Ch 4 Animals as Assistants
Ch 5 Animals as Companions
Ch 6 Animals as more than Companions
Ch 7 Animals as Entertainment
Ch 8 Animals and Cruelty
Ch 9 Animals as Food
Ch 10 Animals as ‘Pests’
Ch 11 Animals and Science
Ch 12 Animals and International Law
Ch 13 Future Directions
Animal Law in Australia: An Integrated Approach, 2nd edition (eBook)Release Date: December 01, 2018AUD$ 119.70
Consumer Protection Law in Australia, 3rd editionRelease Date: July 01, 2019AUD$ 125.00
Animal Law in Australia: An Integrated Approach, 2nd editionRelease Date: December 01, 2017AUD$ 114.00